Tofu and Edamame Poke Bowl
A fresh light bowlful, bursting with umami flavourThe poke bowl is best described as deconstructed sushi in a bowl, with a tropical twist. Originating in Hawaii, the key to a great poke is freshness. I’ve used tofu here, but any sashimi also works brilliantly. The base is usually brown or white rice, served warm, plus tofu or sashimi, plus a rainbow of vegetables, served cold. I like edamame for some extra protein to balance out the rice. Pineapple, seaweed, sesame seeds and ginger are all tasty additions, but not essential. Then a drizzle of the dressing used to saute the tofu, and some spicy mayo and you’re all set.
- 200g Rice cooked according to packet
- 1 pack of tofu, chopped into cubes I like Tofoo because it doesn’t need pressing
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- A 2cm square cube of ginger peeled and grated
- A few pinches of wakame rehydrated in cold water
- A splash of rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 medium carrots peeled and grated
- 4 tablespoons cucumber cubed
- 8 tablespoons edamame beans
- 1 avocado sliced
- Finely sliced spring onions to garnish
- 1 tablespoon Black or white sesame seeds
- Mix the sriarcha, lime juice and mayonnaise in a small bowl and set aside for serving. Add more sriracha if you like it spicier.
- Make the tofu dressing - mix soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, 3 teaspoons of sesame oil, grated ginger and 1 tablespoon of honey in a dish.
- Drain the wakame, and place in a bowl. Stir in the splash of rice wine vinegar, the teaspoon of sesame oil and the teaspoon of honey.
- While the rice is cooking, gently fry the tofu cubes in a little olive oil, turning regularly until lightly browned all over
- Once the tofu is lightly browned, stir about 1/3 of the tofu dressing into the tofu, coating it well. Then take off the heat. Reserve the rest of the dressing for serving.
- Assemble your bowls. Place a bed of rice in the bottom and arrange avocado, edamame, grated carrot, cucumber, seaweed and tofu on top. Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped spring onion. Either drizzle the spicy mayo, or offer alongside.