Easy, Tasty Veggie Burgers
Your go-to veggie burger - a combination of black beans and chickpeas give these a satisfying, moist texture with plenty of protein and flavour.
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- Splash extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 tin black beans, drained
- 1 slice wholemeal, rye or gluten-free bread, toasted and blitzed to breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 1 egg, beaten
- Soften the onion in the olive oil, about 5 minutes
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl
- Either mash the mixture with a potato masher, or bash with a rolling pin, or squash in your hands to break down some of the beans.
- Lightly flour your hands and shape into 8 balls and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. This will make the burgers much easier to shape and hold together.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape each ball into a burger, about 1cm thick. Don’t hold back on squishing as this will help prevent them from breaking apart when cooking.
- Heat the tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until nicely browned and crisp-looking.
Red kidney beans can be substituted for the black beans, but the finished texture might be a little drier. Have fun trying out different spice and flavour combos - the options given here are family-tested and approved! They freeze really well once shaped and before cooking. Makes 6-8 burgers - or make mini burgers or falafel-style portions for packed lunch boxes.