Spiced Parsnip, Carrot and Watercress Soup
Watercress is such a superfood, rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, and in this soup it’s added after cooking so that you get the most from it health-wise. You can’t even tell that it’s raw once it’s whizzed up! Enjoy this gently spiced meal in a bowl, with chickpeas making sure protein is covered. Portions can be frozen for later in the week.
Servings: 2 People
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 parsnip chopped
- 1 x 400g can chick-peas rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 750 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 bunches chopped, or 1 supermarket ready-prepared bag, of watercress
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soften the onion in the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the carrot and parsnip and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, stirring well, and cook for a minute.
- Add the chick-peas and stock and simmer until the vegetables are soft, 15-20 minutes.
- Pour into a blender and add the watercress, blending until smooth.
- Season to taste.