Mackerel, Beetroot and Orange Salad
A study came out this week detailing a list of the top “41 powerhouse fruit and vegetables” In this case, powerhouse is a term being used to describe those fruit and veg most associated with reduced chronic disease. Top of the list is watercress and it’s a green leafy salad leaf that we can all eat regularly to enjoy its nutritious rewards. So you guessed it, this week’s recipe combines watercress with some other well-known ‘superfoods’ to make a really simple, yet incredibly health-giving salad. Tinned mackerel is a good option to enjoy the health benefits of this oily fish in a low-cost, convenient way. However, if you have access to fresh mackerel, this recipe will be delicious with fresh, grilled fish.Smoked mackerel would also make a lovely alternative. Choose hot-smoked for less salt than cold-smoked and keep it for an occasional treat, as smoking foods can pose health risks if eaten frequently.
- A tin of plain mackerel fillets flaked
- Olive oil
- 1 chilli finely sliced
- 2 oranges one halved for juicing, one peeled and segmented
- 1 pack of pre-cooked beetroot
- 1 bag of watercress
- 75 g walnuts chopped
- Cut the beetroot into quarters, or bite-sized pieces. Place into a bowl with the juices from the pack, together with the juice of one orange and the sliced chilli. Combine and leave for 10-15 minutes to allow the juice and chilli to marinate the beetroot.
- Divide the watercress between two serving bowls or plates.
- Add the flaked mackerel, the orange segments and the beetroot.
- Spoon over some or all of the remaining juice from the beetroot.
- Sprinkle with the walnuts, dress with a drizzle of olive oil and serve.