Black bean Scramble
This makes a great weekend breakfast. It’s delicious served with warm tortillas burrito-style, or on toasted sourdough, and it’s packed with healthy proteins. Look for Kala Namak aka Indian Black salt which gives tofu scramble an eggy flavour. Alternatively, this recipe works just as well with two beaten eggs, lightly scrambled after adding the beans. Serves 2.
Servings: 2 People
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime
- 125 g cherry tomatoes cut into halves or quarters
- 1 red chilli chopped or 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 spring onions chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- Small bunch of coriander finely chopped
- 1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste
- 1/2 tin of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 pack Cauldron-type tofu drained and crumbled
- Sea salt or Kala Namak and black pepper
- Slice the avocado and squeeze some lime juice over. Set aside.
- Add the chilli and more lime juice to the chopped tomatoes and set aside.
- Gently soften the onions, garlic and coriander in the olive oil for 2 minutes or until the garlic is not quite beginning to brown.
- Add the smoked paprika, chipotle paste and black beans and warm through until the beans are looking a little drier.
- Add the tofu, salt and pepper and cook on a medium heat until the tofu is starting to colour a little and crisp at the edges. Check seasoning.
- Pile the scramble and beans on the tortilla or toast, and top with tomatoes and avocado.