Brussel Sprout Soup
Brussel sprouts become mellow in this soup, but still bursting with healthy vitamins and minerals. Additionally, they contain plant chemicals that help protect the cells of the body and support your liver, and the kind of fibre they contain may help protect the intestines from unhelpful bacteria. An alternative to the can of beans is 75g ground almonds, added with the sprouts, for a subtle flavour of almonds.Top with pumpkin seeds or toasted sesame seeds for an extra nutrient boost.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and sliced or minced
- 1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
- 500 g Brussel sprouts
- 1 can cannellini beans rinsed
- Sea salt if needed
- A pinch of pepper white ideally
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over a low heat.
- Add the onions, celery and garlic and let them sweat for at least 5 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add the stock, sprouts and beans. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Blend until smooth.