Tuscan Chickpea Macaroni
This is a great mid-week meal, because it needs very little hands on time. If you were wondering what to do with chickpeas aside from houmous or falafel, this is for you! It also makes a good side to serve with chicken or fish. Serves two generously, but doubles up easily for more servings for batch cooking and freezing.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Large sprig rosemary finely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 100 g wholewheat macaroni or brown rice macaroni for gluten-free
- Soften the carrots, celery and garlic in the oil until the celery is beginning to go translucent - about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the macaroni, plus half a can of water
- Simmer, covered until the vegetables are tender and the tomatoes are turning orange – about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as per instructions.
- Season to taste with generous amounts of black pepper and salt if needed.
- Combine the chickpeas and cooked macaroni and serve.